Monday, April 20, 2009

Welcome to the Lock-In

After LEAP testing, the principal of Southeast, Mr. Milton, got a blue Mohawk, and the AP of discipline, Mr. Shelton, wore a dress. These have been strange times at Southeast Middle School.

And now, besides the Mohawk and the dress—as you read these words—three teachers are trapped inside Southeast.

They're locked-in.

All because they made a bet with the student body, “If 95% of you ABE during LEAP testing, we’ll lock ourselves in the school for a week.”

(ABE, of course, stood for Attendance, Behavior, and Effort)

Let's meet the Locked-In:

Mr. Peters:

Subject?

6th grade World History.

Why are you locking yourself in the school?

I thought it would be a great way to show the kids that we will sacrifice for them as much as they sacrificed for the LEAP and I-LEAP. On top of that, when Mr. Crawford and Mr. Adams agreed to stay it turned into a no-brainer; "Guys' nights in."

Thing you’ll miss most about life outside of the school?

I'm a high school baseball umpire and this is the last week of the season, I'll miss that the most. I'll also miss my wonderful wife's list of things to do, my beautiful kids arguing with each other over dolls and endless other things I love to deal with at my house.

How do you plan to survive?

Survive? Survive? This is going to be my vacation. I'm surprised I made it through Spring Break. But on a lighter note, I'll be doing some writing, trying to finish my second novel and I'll work on a new cartoon strip that I just started, and I'll probably work on driving Mr. Adams and Mr. Crawford crazy.


Mr. Crawford:


Subject?

7th grade math.

Why are you locking yourself in the school?

I'm locking myself in school to reward my students for their hard work and dedication to academic excellence. I also love school so much I can't stand leaving. I'm a glutton for punishment and it will give me a chance to pay back the teachers who were nice enough to decorate the room for me earlier this year. Welcome to the Jungle!!

Thing you’ll miss most about life outside of the school?

Easy...24. I will miss my favorite TV show. Don't get your feelings hurt other shows...I will miss you too, but 24, I will miss you the most!!

How do you plan to survive?

Basketball, Movies, and PAS portfolio!


Mr. Adams:


Subject?

8th grade math.

Why are you locking yourself in the school?

I wanted to give the students another incentive for doing their best on the LEAP. It’s also a reward for all the hard work I’ve seen this year! Plus, I can’t get enough of Southeast! Spring break was torture!

Thing you’ll miss most about life outside of the school?

My porch. There’s nothing like sitting outside while doing a couple of math worksheets. Also, my kitchen – I love cooking because of all the fractions and measurement!

How do you plan to survive?

Three things: Spaghettios, my iTunes, and plenty of math problems! (And avoiding Mr. Peters)


Well, the students held up their end of the bargain. Now the teachers must hold up their end and answer the question that everyone is curious about: Will they survive five days locked in their school?