Friday, April 24, 2009

Mr. Adams' Diary: Final Entry

Dear Diary,

I made it.

I know I wouldn't have made it without you. And I most certainly wouldn't have made it without all the wonderful support from the students at Southeast. Both from the students I teach and from students who I'd never met before, but would stop me in the hall and say, "You better catch that ghost Mr. Adams!" or come up to the school to get us some much needed food.

I have never felt more welcome or appreciated.

But, Diary, I'm having a hard time telling my students this. You know? I'm an authority figure in my school (Still don't know how I got this gig. And after this week, Mr. Milton's probably trying to remember why he ever hired me.).

And I can't really put my finger on why I'm keeping this to myself.

Maybe it's because the teachers I had never did. Maybe it's because I taught this group of kids last year in 7th grade--and I don't know what I'm going to do when they all go to high school next year. I'm going to miss them.

This is the only class of students I've taught at Southeast. This is the group of students I've associated with my job since I moved to Baton Rouge two years ago.

The high school graduation class of 2013.

Well, Diary, I don't know if I'll ever work up the courage to tell the students of Southeast and its faculty how much I've enjoyed this year--how fortunate I feel to teach here, at the greatest middle school in the parish.

...Or how excited I am to teach the high school graduation class of 2014 next year!

But sometimes you don't tell people what you ought to, I guess.

It's been a pleasure, Diary.


Cheers,

Mr. Adams